Quick Facts: Psychology Industry
- Clinical, counseling, and school psychologists$68,900
- Psychologists, all other$92,110
Online Doctor of Psychology Degrees
A Doctor of Psychology Degree, or Psy.D., is generally considered to be the top degree available in the field of psychology. If you are already a practicing psychologist and you want to advance your career or branch off into a different area of specialization, then a Psy.D. will be the ultimate tool to help you reach your goals.
Although it is possible to pursue a Ph.D in Psychology instead, the Psy.D. is a more career-oriented program that is just as respected and appreciated in the world of psychology. Read on to gain a better understanding of the progression of an online degree at this level, what it takes to be a successful professional in the field, career option for Psy.D. holders and how online education can save doctoral candidates both time and money.Read More ⇣
Compare These Accredited Colleges For Online Doctor of Psychology Degrees...
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology - Health Psychology
- Doctor of Business Administration - Industrial Organizational Psychology
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology - Psychology of Gender and Sexual Fluidity
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology - General Psychology
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology - Trauma and Disaster Relief
- PhD in Business Administration - Industrial Organizational Psychology
- PhD in Psychology - Industrial Organizational Psychology
- Master of Arts in Psychology - Gender Diversity Studies
- Master of Arts in Psychology - General Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- PhD in Clinical Psychology - Teaching Psychology
- PhD in Developmental Psychology - BS Entry - Research
- PhD in Developmental Psychology - MS Entry - General
- PhD in Developmental Psychology - MS Entry - Administration and Leadership
- PhD in Developmental Psychology - MS Entry - Child & Adolescent Development
- PhD in Developmental Psychology - MS Entry - Health & Human Development
- PhD in Developmental Psychology - MS Entry - Internat'l Persp Develop Psych
- PhD in Developmental Psychology - MS Entry - Research
- PhD in Developmental Psychology - MS Entry - Teaching
- PhD in Developmental Psychology - MS Entry - Self Design
- M.S. in Psychology: General Psychology
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Human Factors
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- M.S. in Psychology: Industrial & Organizational Psychology
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Geropsychology
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Health Psychology
- BA Psychology w/conc in Addictions
- BA Psychology w/conc in Child & Adolescent Development
- BA Psychology w/conc in Applied Psychology
- BA Psychology
- BS Business Administration w/conc in Industrial Organizational Psychology
- BA Psychology w/conc in Forensic Psychology
- BA Psychology w/conc in Social Psychology
Course Progression for Doctor of Psychology Degrees
A Psy.D. takes anywhere from five to eight years to complete and consists of two years of classes, two years of clinical internships and roughly two years of research for a book-length dissertation. Just like a Ph.D. in Psychology, a Psy.D. starts with two years of intensive classes that focus on various subjects related to the practice, study and research of psychology.
Online students can typically take these classes online rather than in a traditional university classroom. The research and all of the dissertation writing and editing can also be done in the comfort of your own home through an online program. However, it is important to note that clinical internships will need to be done in person and cannot be completed over the Internet.
What it Takes to be a Success in This Field
In order to be a successful practicing or research psychologists at the top of the field, you should have educational qualifications that include a Psy.D., be open-minded and tolerant, be patient, have excellent communication skills, be comfortable working with all kinds of patients and enjoy work that can at times be challenging. Most practicing psychologists will not work with other peers in day to day life, but they will typically be in communication with other staff, doctors or administrators depending on where they work. For this reason, they should be personable and have great communication skills. Patience is vital for psychologists, as some patients may be trying or require extra attention.
Career Options for Psy.D. Holders
Most Psy.D. holders will turn to either research or practice after graduation. Before they can begin practicing, however, they will need to be licensed by the state they plan to work in. With a Psy.D. and a state practicing license, psychologists will be able to treat, diagnoses and counsel any individuals who seek them out, and they might work in a clinical setting, in a hospital or even in their own private practice. Those who decide to focus exclusively on research might work as authors for publications and non-fiction books, or they may work for advertising or business companies to test out marketing or advertising campaigns.
Advantage of Online Learning for Advanced Psychology Degree Students
Online learning makes earning advanced psychology degrees easier because students have the ability to study from home for the first two years, they don't need to commute each day and they can avoid relocation for special programs. At this advanced level, not every large city will offer the right degree program. By offering degrees online, students can study for their Psy.D. without leaving their town and moving to a new destination. Often, online tuition costs can be lower than traditional college degree fees as well.
In order to reach the pinnacle of success in your field, consider an online Psy.D. to expand your career options and your earning potential.
Earn a degree that makes an immediate impact on your career. Find out how you can begin today to pave the way for career advancement by taking your degree to the highest level. Accredited Online Colleges and Universities provide the programs that fit your busy professional lifestyle while allowing you to reach your educational goals.