Pursue a Career in Negotiations and Conflict Management
Some people, from a very early age, are able to showcase signs of diplomacy. It might be the child in the playground who encourages friends not to fight with one another, or the colleague at work who smooths over tough situations with a joke or a friendly word to keep the situation calm. If you have this kind of personality, then you might be the right fit for a career in negotiations and conflict management.
If this sounds like something you may be interested in, then it is important to determine if you have what it takes to succeed in the field. If you have each of these items listed below, then you will likely be ready for a new career in negotiations and conflict management.
A Negotiations and Conflict Management Degree
In order to find a career in the field of negotiations and conflict management, you will first need a degree or certificate of some kind. The most popular options include a four-year bachelor's degree, a graduate certificate and a master's degree. While a bachelor's degree can be a great start to this career, there are limited numbers of these programs currently available. A graduate certificate first requires a bachelor's degree, as does a master's. In whatever degree program you choose, you will study subjects like counseling techniques, small group communication, the ethics of negotiation and family mediation.
A Realistic Picture of Future Careers
While it is certainly true that there are a number of wonderful and lucrative carers available for those who want to work in negotiations and conflict management, aspiring students should not begin studying this field unless that have a realistic picture of the careers available to them. The most common career options in negotiations and conflict management include that of a school principal, an arbitrator, a mediator, a public relations specialist and a conflict manager. In nearly every career, individuals will work outside of the courts and the legal system.
Excellent Communication Skills
Perhaps the most vital skill that negotiators and conflict managers need to have is excellent communication. Skilled mediators and negotiators will be able to diffuse tense or stressful situations with calming words, and their written letters or documents should be concise and diplomatic. If you struggle with public speaking or don't feel as if you know what to say in stressful situation, then you may want to rethink your decision to earn a negotiations and conflict management degree.
The Ability to Work Well With Others
Aside from excellent communication skills, those working in the field of negotiations and conflict resolution should be able to get along well with a diverse range of people. Whether they are your colleagues, clients or opposition, you should be calm, polite and patient with everyone in order to show them respect.
Natural Leadership Abilities
The most successful negotiators and conflict managers are the ones who can instantly take control of a conversation without interrupting or being rude. This natural leadership ability is not typically something that can be taught, and is something that students probably already have if they are interested in working in this field.
A Trustworthy Personality
In order to convince people on both sides of the table that you are working in their best interest, you will need to have a trustworthy personality. Being honest in your daily life will help show the people you work with that you can be trusted and that your decisions and suggestions are the right choice for all involved.
If you are the right fit for a career in negotiations and conflict management, then enroll in an online degree program today.
Find out how to enhance your skills and talents in negotiation and conflict management to become an effective problem solver who can make a difference in today's complex world of business - domestically, internationally or in the governmental arena. Discover how you can get started today with a convenient online program designed to fit the needs of busy professional adults like you.
Compare These Top-Rated Accredited Colleges For Online Negotiation and Conflict Management Degrees...
- Regionally accredited, Florida Tech offers in-demand undergraduate degrees 100% online.
- No SAT or ACT or application fee required. Special military pricing available.
- Small class sizes give you ample opportunity to interact one on one with your professors and other students.
- Earn the same diploma as on-campus students, around your busy schedule. No campus attendance required and no set login times allows you to study anytime, anywhere 24/7 so it is convenient for you.
- Ranked a Tier 1 Best National University by U.S. News & World Report and ranked as one of the top 200 universities in the world by Times Higher Education.
- In-demand undergraduate degrees available - 100% online in fields like, aviation management, business administration, criminal justice, marketing and more.
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Offers 46 credits for military experience (plus credit for CLEP & DSST)
- Offers undergraduate and graduate degrees, certificates, teaching credentials and extended education programs online and at campuses throughout California and Washington.
- Has a network of 26 campuses, 6 military base locations and online options
- Part of the Chapman University System
- View More Online Schools
About Grand Canyon University
About Cumberland University
Welcome to Cumberland University! Cumberland University is located in Lebanon, Tennessee, 30 miles east of Nashville. Founded in 1842, Cumberland University offers a variety of educational, athletic and social experiences to enhance the learning opportunities of the current student body. The university has an exceptional academic program steeped in the liberal arts. Athletic teams regularly compete for conference and national championships.
About ITT Technical Institute
About Kaplan University
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*